Home Page
  • Google Translate

Changes to universal credit

Changes to the support available to people claiming Universal Credit will come into effect from 1st April 2019.   From this date, Citizens Advice Knowsley will provide “Help to Claim” to people making a new claim for Universal Credit.  This support will be provided up until the first Universal Credit payment is received and will include:-


·       Universal Credit entitlement checks and support to start a claim;

·       Set up email and online Universal Credit accounts;

·       Verify identity (using the Department for Work and Pensions “Verify” system);

·       Referral on to longer term support (for example debt and housing); and,

·       Help to apply for ‘adaptions and easements’ (including direct payments to Landlords, more frequent payments and Advance Payments).


Referrals to the “Help to Claim” service can be made direct by the claimant, who can ‘self-refer’, as well as by the Jobcentre, Local Authority, Housing Providers and other agencies.


To access the service, residents need to call 0800 144 8 444 to arrange an appointment at a local Citizens Advice office.  As a Freephone number, the call is free from landlines and mobiles.


For more information, go to the Citizens Advice Knowsley website which will be updated with details of the new service including links to the webchat service, a few days prior to launch.